Styrene

Styrene

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Scratch-built 1/72 Kellett K-2 Autogyro

From the archive (2008):

What is an autogyro? A plane with an umbrella? An overly complicated fanning device?
What an engineer will do if asked to design a plane? But you all know what an autogiro is, of course. This unlucky cousin of the helicopter enjoyed a brief and well deserved moment of glory during the 30’s and for no reason its popularity dwindled.
The Kellett K-2 had a Continental engine, while the K-3 had a 5 cylinder Kinner. The subject of this article started its life as a K-2 but was later given the Kinner. There were many other Kellets K-2s and K-3s: one went to Japan, another to Argentina, and the rest vanished in the mist of time save one restored airframe that now is in a museum. Coincidentally it has the same registration that my model.
Oh, don’t look at me like that! scratch-building is indeed easy; the only issue is that is difficult. Hey, al least I only have to deal with my own mistakes and I can build whatever I please.

















No comments:

Post a Comment